New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

B Briggs rcbdyndns at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 14 00:24:42 PDT 2006

Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:30:15AM -0500, B Briggs wrote:
>> However, I'm having a slight problem. Steps I took to build, maybe I
>> forgot something:
>>
>> 1. Had to edit the distinfo file.
>> 2. make (fails because of patch)
>> 3. make patch-iicbb
>> 4. make install (works)
>> 5. rebuilt and installed new kernel, rebooted
>
> Maybe it's not clear, but the proper steps are:
>
> 1. "make patch-iicbb"
> 2. rebuild & install new kernel.  reboot sometime before step 5
> 3. copy file off CD.
> 4. "make install"
> 5. load cxm drivers
>
> Not sure why you had to edit the distinfo file, what precisely did you have
> to do?

The file was the same as the pvr250 port distinfo file before I changed
it. I had to add md5, sha256, size for pvrxxx_gpl.tgz and HcwMakoA.ROM.

See:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2006-October/005014.html

>> 6. Here's my error messages:
>>
>> bbriggs# kldload cxm_iic
>> bbriggs# kldload cxm
>> cxm0: <Conexant iTVC16 MPEG Coder> mem 0xdc000000-0xdfffffff irq 10 at
>> device 3.
>> 0 on pci0
>> cxm_iic0: <Conexant iTVC15 / iTVC16 I2C controller> on cxm0
>> iicbb0: <I2C bit-banging driver> on cxm_iic0
>> iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
>> tuner code 99
>> cxm0: unknown tuner code 0x63
>> tuner_type = -1
>> cxm0: could not initialize tuner
>> iicbus0: detached
>> iicbb0: detached
>> cxm_iic0: detached
>> device_attach: cxm0 attach returned 6
>>
>> I used the files straight off the Hauppauge installation CD, which shows
>> version 2.3 on the front. Did I miss anything?
>
> This has nothing to do with the file on the CD but that the driver doesn't
> know about your tuner.  The pvr500 comes with one of many different types
> of tuners.  I suspect you have a different tuner than has been tested thus
> far.  I'm sure usleep can make a suggestion at this point.

I probably should have mentioned that this is a pvr150, if that makes
any difference. Anyway, I found this post from April:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2006-April/003922.html

Seems to be the identical error message, but I'm a little unclear on how
that was resolved, and whether or not if I add a case for 0x63 in the
cxm_eeprom.c that I'll be able to use the tuner.

Don't know if this might also help from pciconf:
cxm0 at pci0:3:0:  class=0x040000 card=0x80030070 chip=0x00164444 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Conexant Inc (Was: Globespan, ICompression Inc)'
     device   = 'iTVC16/CX23416 MPEG Codec'
     class    = multimedia
     subclass = video

--