New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Thu Oct 12 22:55:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 02:04:55PM +0100, Dieter wrote:

> > That's my point-- there are few HD drivers around, compared to SD.
>
> If the tuner can output SD it can output HD.  Perhaps you mean
> digital vs. analog.

How is that?  NTSC SD = 640x480, HD = 1920x1080..  Certainly not every
tuner which outputs SD can output HD.  However I did mean digital, not
analog.

> Compare the number of digital tuners that Linux supports to the
> number BSD supports.  The penguins are getting them written somehow.

More people, lots more people.

> I haven't studied the HD5500 in detail, but the HD3000 has analog inputs
> (s-video & composite, audio) so you can feed it from an analog camcorder
> or whatever.

Yes..  The HD5500 only has RF input (coaxal).

> In addition to broadcast ATSC it also does cable QAM.  If
> the HD5500 doesn't do this, you could look for a HD3000 on ebay.

I should look for an HD3000 on ebay because it has composite/audio in and
the HD5500 doesn't.

> I'd like to see some sort of device driver API so that the same driver could
> work on FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD/Plan9/Linux/...

Good luck, and I really mean that.

> > There are both tuners and output.
>
> Cool.  Could you point me at the list of BSD supported ATSC tuners, and the
> list of BSD supported video output devices with XvMC?

man bktr; man meteor; more /usr/ports/multimedia/pvrXXX/pkg-descr

Not sure of any others..  And I never said anything about XvMC support, but
with mythtv you can use Xv output.

-- Rick C. Petty