PVR-350 and the pvr250 port - report

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Thu Oct 12 17:44:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:57:30PM +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:24:10 -0500
>
> > What do you mean by failure?  My suggestion was only to help with the
>
> I mean that the command fails like this:
> <--- cut --->
> tingo at kg-quiet$ cat /dev/cxm0 > test.mpg & mplayer test.mpg
> cat: /dev/cxm0: Device busy

Try typing two commands:
	$  cat /dev/cxm0 > test.mpg &
	$  mplayer test.mpg

Also, it's saying the device is busy-- perhaps another process has the
device open?

> There are nothing (exactly no lines) in the dmesg other than the ones I have referred to here. I have run a tail -f /var/log/messages in another window to be sure. :)

If you've tried the command recently and no new lines appeared in your
messages, then the cat is not related to the error messages.

> However, I have tried 'mplayer -cache 8192 /dev/cxm0' and that cures the playback problem, AFAICT.

Ah, I'll have to try the cache option.  Do you really need 8 MB of cache
for it to work correctly?  What's the minimum cache amount before mplayer
starts having the seek failure?

So far you've proved exactly what I was saying before.

> > Another question-- what's your processor type & speed and how much
> > RAM does the machine have?
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (1790.84-MHz K8-class CPU)
> real memory  = 1072627712 (1022 MB)
> avail memory = 1022713856 (975 MB)

I think the dmesg errors you pasted before have nothing to do with the
seek problem.

-- Rick C. Petty