New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 11 09:26:15 PDT 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:02:03 +0200
usleepless at gmail.com wrote:

> i checked out 0.19 a couple of weeks ago, it compiles just fine on 6.x
> after a few minor changes ( i have created a port, but have not
> submitted it yet ). i do not know if/how it runs: i just compiled it.
> if someone wants to give it a shot: let me know.

If someone is creating a port of MythTV, I have a few wishes for such a
port. :^)

Create it as a master port which basically is the whole MythTV, and
with a slave port which is only the Mythfrontend program.

This will have the advantage that we will be able to run the
Mythfrontend on any FreeBSd box, and (if the port is properly done)
without a lot of unneeded dependencies (MySQL, etc.).

> if it does not run properly, i will consider submutting my heavily
> patched 0.18-fixes as a port.
A MythTV 0.17 port have also been created http://mythtv.son.org/
but never maintained (at least not available to the public).

I think that if a MythTV port is going to have lasting value and a
lifespan, it will have to be based on the current "production" release
of MythTV, or no further back than the prevoius release.

MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) is now at 0.20, and the very popular
KnoppMyth (http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html) is at R5 D1, which
uses MythTV 0.19 (or is it 0.19-fixes? I don't remember). In the case
of KnoppMyth, there is already a "how-to" on the forum for upgrading to
MythTV 0.20.

That would allow people to run a KnoppMyth / Linux-based MythTV backend
server and Mythfrontend on FreeBSD machine(s) until we have good enough
TV card drivers under FreeBSD.

Just my €0.2
--
Regards,