Support for High Definition Audio (Controller) is in the tree.

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 11:05:33 PDT 2006

Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:11:24 -0300
> You have to be sure about this. "ogain" and "phout" have separate
> control and effect, while "vol" (before the commit) does not have any
> meaningfull effect.

Hi Ariff,

could you please elaborate on what the difference between vol, ogain,
and phout is?

I'm asking this as I have problems with sound volume on my hardware and
your comment is giving me the impression you commit might have fixed
that.

Symptoms:
  - vol only controls the loudness of my laptop speakers, pcm is still
  effective, ogain is ignored
  - plugging in headphones, ogain needs to be around 30-40, otherwise it
  is too loud
  - plugging in hifi equipment (with amplifier) I have to set ogain to
  100 and pcm to near 100 to get acceptable loudness

I think the hardware can sense the difference between headphone and
other equipment, as I don't get that ogain-difference under windows.
There, a headphone will sound equivalent to a connected hifi equipment.

pcm0: <Intel ICH4 (82801DB)> port 0xb800-0xb8ff,0xbc40-0xbc7f mem 0xf4fff800-0xf4fff9ff,0xf4fff400-0xf4fff4ff irq 9 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9750/51 AC97 Codec>
pcm0 at pci0:31:5: class=0x040100 card=0x01911028 chip=0x24c58086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio

Have a nice weekend,
Ulrich Spoerlein