Survey on Video Capture API: BSD meteor(4) vs. Video for Linux 1/2

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Oct 4 11:01:57 PDT 2006

There is a V4L2 implementation in P4 and someone (brain fade occuring)
was looking at it just last month..

I'm not overly inpressed with V4L(1 or 2) as they basically just defina
a bunch
of constants and ways of declaring things and don't do any of the work
for you.
The device drivers still need to do all the work. All V4L gives you
is an API to work to to do the work so that programs can talk to you in
a known way.

I'd like to see a video framework that sat on top of that that allowed
more to be done with the streams..

There are userland applications that do a lot however once you
have he V4L interface on the device drivers.. so that somewhat mitigates
the problem..