which of these HD TV tuners would be easier to get/write drivers for?

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Tue Nov 14 19:47:31 UTC 2006

Jim Stapleton wrote this message on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 08:57 -0500:
> I'm looking at setting up a multimedia center PC, and I'd like to base
> it off of BSD, but the problem is that TV Tuners are hard to find with
> drivers, and HD Tuners even worse.
>
> Anyone know which of these would be easier to write drivers for? One
> looks to be Phillips, one looks to be Connexant (examing the windows
> driver files), dunno about the rest
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100140
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815325001

Not sure about these, but if you get a 5th gen LG tuner package
(LG H062F) w/ a Bt878 chip, you most likely can use the bktrau driver
and capture program I've writen...

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815326001 (If I
> could get a low profile bracket for this, I'd prefer that option)

This doesn't look like an HDTV card...

If you want a low profile HDTV card, the DViCO FusionHDTV5 Lite (not the
RT version) comes w/ a low profile bracket and works w/ the bktrau
driver...

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116310
> (preferrably not, bad experiences with ATI)

Don't even attempt.. I have one, and ATI doesn't even respond..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579