SCSI DVD not recognized by xine, xmms, etc.

Patrick Bowen pbowen at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 11 05:20:10 UTC 2006

I've just gotten a Sony DRX-830U external DVD writer that connects to
the USB port on my computer. I can read and write CD's using cdrecord,
but I can't play DVD movies using xine. With the internal ATAPI
CDRW/DVD-ROM xine works fine, after I edit /etc/devfs.conf a la the
handbook, so I'm guessing the problem has to do with the external drive
being a native SCSI. I've included some info below;

[pbowen at sg1 ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD sg1.sgc.org 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Oct 24
02:41:05 CDT 2006     pbowen at sg1.sgc.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

[from dmesg]
umass0: Sony DRX-830U, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2
cd1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd1: <SONY DVD RW DRU-830A SS20> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd1: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd1: cd present [326496 x 2048 byte records]

Xine complains that it can't find an input plugin for MRL dvd:/

I've edited my /etc/devfs.conf so that /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, and
/dev/rdvd all point to /dev/cd0.

Maybe someone has been down this road before and can provide a helping
hand, or at least point me in the right direction.

TIA,
Patrick