Starting Skype

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com
Thu Nov 9 08:40:11 UTC 2006

Are you using FreeBSD 6.2-prerelease i386 ? because I have similar problems.
When I start skype as user (never tried with superuser) it cannot
connect, and while trying
to do so, it fuck up the whole network. Also when this happened skype
cannot be killed with -9 even.

I tried to find something with ktrace, but I really do not understand
very much what's going on.
I notice that skype goes mad and calls a lot gethostbyname().

Well skype is binary (for linux) without debug symbols in it so I guess
it is almost impossible to know what happens,
and may be those complains have to be sent to skype.com ? :)

Rem P Roberti wrote:
> I can start Skype as user, but when I try to do this the programs runs
> extremely slowly, all inputs and screens take forever to respond, and
> the program doesn't remember my login name and password.  When I start
> Skype as root everything seems to function perfectly.  What is going
> on there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rem

Best Wishes,