FreeBSD 6.2/AMD64: missing driver for SB Audigy SE / CA0106-DAT

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 6 23:03:31 UTC 2006

> Dear Sirs.
> My FreeBSD 6.2-PRE/AMD64 box has been equipted with a PCI Soundblaster
> Audigy SE soundcard. This soundcard unfortunately does utilize a chip
> called CA0106-DAT as "pciconf -lv" reported.
> I tried several snd_xxx driver found in most recent FreeBSD
> 6.2-PRE/AMD64 stuff, but even snd_em10k1 doesn't work. So I googled
> around and found ports/em10kx and tried this one - also with no success.
> As I could then read in the README, my obtained soundcard especially
> with the utilized chip isn't supported (yet?).
> So I tried OSS, but this driver is a commercial third party driver and
> therefore a bit suspicious in my opinion. By the way, the driver only
> produces a ear-killing noise - no sound, nothing.
>
> Well, as I could see in many other forums around the net, the
> SoundBlaster Audigy SE is a quite common soundcard and I would wonder if
> it isn't supported by FreeBSD. Are there any efforts pointing to this issue?
> I should have better read the exclusions on supported hardware, too late
> I realized that the soundcard of my box has not an emu em10k1 chipset.
>
> Any comments are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Oliver
>
> P.S. Please send eMail direcectly or in CC to my address as I'm not on
> this list, thank you very much.

Hi Folks,

OSS v3.99.4c and OSS v4.0rc2-172 have the Audigy SE problems fixed.
Go to http://www.opensound.com/test for the v4.0 drivers.

 > commercial third party driver and
 > therefore a bit suspicious in my opinion.

So Nvidia closed source driver is not suspicious but 4Front's OSS is?.

FYI, we've been in business since 1996 and not 1 complaint about our
software being malicious has ever been filed!

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies

---------------------------------------

Sorry for my late answer,
I'm not an official list member.

I tried the recommended new driver and indeed, it works. But: why is this third party stuff installing in

/usr

and not, as expected, in

/usr/local ?

Could this please be a subject of change?

> So Nvidia closed source driver is not suspicious but 4Front's OSS is?.

Well, no offenses, please. I do not use any closed sources from nVidia
any more due to their problems offering correct working drivers (in this case, nForce nve() driver,
which delivers a kind of interrupt storm on my box!).

Regards,
Oliver