Problems with -current + HDA + new Dell D620

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 5 22:31:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 02:01:41 +0100
martinko <gamato at users.sf.net> wrote:
> Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 00:34:57 -0800
> > Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> I have a shiny new Dell Latitude D620 with the dreaded Intel HDA.
> >> The good news is that the driver in -current works, and prints
> >this > in dmesg:
> >>
> >> pcm0: <Intel 82801G High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> >> 0xefffc000-0xefffffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
> >> pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel STAC9220>
> >> pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20061017_0033>
> >>
> >> More good news, "regular" sound works, I can play wav files, etc.
> >> What is weird is that I get no sound from the CD drive when I
> >have > an audio CD in it, although I DO get sound when I play a DVD
> >using > xine. There is also no cd entry in the mixer. Any ideas?
> >>

> > Unfortunately, this is true for most recent hardwares: they don't
> > have analog cd connector. The only way to listen to your CD is to
> > extract its data digitally. Most players (mplayers, xmms, etc) can
> > do this, or you might prefer using dd(1) and play(1) (sox).
> >

> i'm wondering if there's a front-end for SoX to use it as an audio
> player.. ?

Something like this :)

#!/bin/sh

for x in /dev/acd0t* ; do
  dd if=$x of=/dev/stdout bs=2352 2> /dev/null | \
    play -c 2 -r 44100 -w -t raw -f s  -
done

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........