Problems with -current + HDA + new Dell D620

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 4 23:14:07 UTC 2006

Wesley Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> pcm0: <Intel 82801G High Definition Audio Controller> mem
>> 0xefffc000-0xefffffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
>> pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel STAC9220>
>> pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20061017_0033>
>>
>> More good news, "regular" sound works, I can play wav files, etc. What
>> is weird is that I get no sound from the CD drive when I have an audio
>> CD in it, although I DO get sound when I play a DVD using xine. There
>> is also no cd entry in the mixer. Any ideas?
>
> If your 9220 is the same as mine, there is no APPARENT way to play an
> audio CD as it has no input. The really weird part is, however, that if
> you go into Windows and start up the CD player app, it will play the CD
> and using the CD slider on the mixer will control the volume. I always
> thought that the CD player app was using the analog input, which if true
> is really weird. Apps like VLC and Windows Media Player read the digital
> data from the drive and send it to the regular dsp, which is arguably
> better quality.

Ok, thanks. I am using xine right now to listen to a CD, and it works
fine. Makes me sad to say good-bye to the wmcdplay dockapp icon that's
been on my desktop for a decade though....

On to another exciting topic, my laptop is docked at the moment, and
the big honkin' pc speakers are plugged into the dock. In windows the
sound comes out of the docked speakers, but in freebsd I'm getting
sound only from the laptop speakers. Any ideas where to look?

Doug