Re: ekiga conflict

Sandor Z Nemeth nemeths at for.mat.bham.ac.uk
Mon May 29 06:47:39 PDT 2006

Hello Szilveszter,

I figured it out by myself how to install ekiga. More or less I did what
you mentioned here. Some other packages had to be reinstalled as well.
However, I can't search for people on the address book at all.

Also, ekiga cannot read from the sound device /dev/dsp0.0. It seems that
no telephony program works for me (I tried both "ekiga" and "skype").
People cannot hear me and I cannot hear them. However, I have sound on my
system, and I can also record voice with audacity. I have no idea what's
going wrong. I have a "Creative Sound Blater Live 24! external" sound
card. I can use "ekiga" and "skype" under Windows XP on the same computer.
I have a Logitech webcamera attached to the computer which works under
Windows as a microphone too. However, under FreeBSD I use another
microphone which is connected to the "Creative Sound Blater Live 24!
external" sound card which is used with the snd_uaudio module.

I switched to FreeBSD from Linux on November 2005, because it was the only
Unix-like system which recognised my main hardware on my new Emachine
computer, which was a real bargain from PCWorld (but this for the cost of
some hardware incompatibilities, but I should not complain since it was
very cheap). Apart from Macromedia  Flash plugin and telephony everything
work fine under FreeBSD :)

I would try also MacOS, but at the moment the hardware is to expensive for
me.

Thanks,
Sandor

Dr Sandor Zoltan Nemeth