emu10k1 Sound driver hard locks on FreeBSD 6.1 release

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri May 12 05:38:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:33:09 -0500
"Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 02:10:44AM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:25:54 +0400
> > "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov at gfk.ru> wrote:
> >
> > > Robert,
> > > 1. Does your sound card share interrupt with something else?
> >
> > I have read many emails of people with similar problems, but I havent
> > found any solution. I suspect it is caused to the card sharing IRQs with
> > something else, but since there is no driver attached to the snd card,
> > pciconf / scanpci / dmesg / vmstat show no IRQ assigned to it.
>
> What is the output of mptable(1) ??

$ sudo mptable -verbose -grope
Password:

MPTable

 looking for EBDA pointer @ 0x040e, found, searching EBDA @ 0x0009f000
 searching CMOS 'top of mem' @ 0x0009ec00 (635K)
 searching default 'top of mem' @ 0x0009fc00 (639K)
 searching BIOS @ 0x000f0000
 searching extended BIOS @ 0x000e0000
 groping memory @ 0x00080000
 groping memory @ 0x00090000

 MP FPS NOT found,
 suggest trying -grope option!!!

> What IRQ is assigned to the sound
> card?

that's my problem, i can't tell

> IIRC, PCI interrupts are mapped to one of the INT pins (A thru D)
> and the interrupt steering mechanism maps the INT interrupts to IRQs.

I agree. I have been trying to figure htis out, but i can't find any way to see
what int is assigned to it until there's a driver attached to the card...

> I've
> had troubles for example when my PCI modem (which allocates an IRQ for the
> serial port) shares the INT pin with any other device, such as my NIC.
> Because the sio(4) driver doesn't allow shared interrupts, I had to move my
> modem to a slot which used INT D, since on my board no other slot or
> onboard device uses INT D.  The problem persisted no matter what BIOS
> settings I tried, or whether a freebsd driver attached to either device.

right. I noticed something similar - i have Serial ports disabled in BIOS, but
stil see si0 coming up on dmesg. Will try removing from kernel.

> > I've started a tedious process of changing the PCI IRQ settings in the BIOS
> > and mapping what sections of the pci bus are affected by each change, but
> > havent been able to find what touches pci:27:0 (the one the Intel HDA is
> > attached to).
>
> Do you mean the hard drive controller?  I'm pretty sure that's hard-coded
> to IRQs 14 & 15 (for primary & secondary controllers).

no,no, Intel High Definition Audio card.
thx