Video card recommendation(s) for multi-head configuration

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Tue May 9 03:40:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 08:05:10PM -0700, George Hartzell wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>  >
>  > I'd like to hook up more then one monitor to my desktop, work on one,
>  > monitor on the other, sort of thing ... I'd *love* to hook up three when
>  > finished, but not sure how easy/reasonable that is to do ...
>  >
>  > I'm guessing someone here has experience with multi-head configurations,
>  > so the questions are along the lines of max # of monitors, video cards
>  > that does this well, etc ...
>
> I spent a couple of hours wrestling w/ an nvidia based card on Fedora
> core 4 last weekend and eventually got Xinerama working with the
> binary nvidia driver, but never made it work w/ nv driver.

I'd recommend any "modern" nVidia card (that is, later than GeForce FX).
I have dual-head (and sometimes 3-4 head) working on almost every box I
manage now.  I've had good luck with both the nv and nvidia drivers in
dual-head mode.  Everything works well out of the box.  At work, some of
us have a 1920x1200 and a 1600x1200 running in 32-bit color.  I've run up
to 4 monitors with two cards pretty successfully with Xinerama.  I won't
touch a non-nVidia card anymore.  That goes for windoze too..

-- Rick C. Petty