Sound and microphone with Skype

Dumitru Vulcanov vulcan at physics.uvt.ro
Wed May 3 12:14:18 UTC 2006

I am fighting from long time with sound on Skype. It turns out that on 6.1
version was fixed so I was waiting with impacience to work well. I was
able to make it work skype well on a PC machine but not on my laptop.
My laptop is a 5 years old IBM ThinkPad T21 with a Crystal Sound Fusion
sound card. It works perfectly on windows (I have a XP partion on it)
and it works with any multimedia application on FreeBSD 6.1 RC1 with
kde3.5 (xmms, x11amp, kplayer, mplayer...) but NOT on Skype. Actually it
seems that the microphone does not work properly : I can hear anybody else
(tested with echo123 service) but my sound (using both the built-in mic
or another external) produce a terrible sound with distorsions.
I am using csa sound driver module (the only one I was able to make it
work) at more /dev/sndstat it gives :

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 11  (1p/1r/4v channels duplex default)

and the kernel is compiled with "device sound" and "device csa" !
I tryied everything I was able to find on net, including the hint in
device.hints : hint.pcm.0.buffersize=65536 .... I am getting crazy about
this ! Please can anybody help me ? maybe another ThinkPad user ?
Thanks in advance !

Dumitru N. Vulcanov                             U     U V       V TTTTTTTT
West University of Timisoara                    U     U  V     V     TT
Dept. of Theoretical and Computational Physics  U     U   V   V      TT
Blv. V. Parvan no. 4, 300223 Timisoara, Romania  U   U     V V       TT
e-mail : vulcan at physics.uvt.ro                    UUU       V        TT