Multi-channel sound output

Frank Steinborn steinex at nognu.de
Mon May 1 00:10:22 UTC 2006

Hans-Werner Braun wrote:

> (I am not on this list, Please include me on a response)
>
> I would like to make multi-channel (at least 4) sound output work.
> I tried three different cards: Live! 5.1, Audigy SE, and Audigy 4,
> with the standard FreeBSD 6.0 driver, emu10kx, and OSS. I did not
> manage to get more than two channels in either combination. Does
> anyone here have a suggestion as to what would works there?
>
> For background, what I am interested in is the recreation of 3D
> sound environments, like deploying a microphone array in an ecological
> reserve or other interesting sound environments (see
> http://hpwren.ucsd.edu/news/050617.html and
> http://hpwren.ucsd.edu/news/050402.html for examples or preliminary
> work), and recreating it with fairly standard equipment. For example,
> once I get the output working, a next question will be how to read
> from a microphone-quad (or more) while still getting phasing/etc.
> right.

Have a look at /usr/ports/audio/emu10kx. It's a more advanced
sound driver for emu10kx-cards. However, I'm not sure if that's such a
great help (I don't know the driver) but I think it's worth to
mention. Probably it's a good point to start.

The author of the driver stopped working on it, though :-(

> Hans-Werner

HTH anyhow,
Frank