ATI Radeon 7000 and Hauppauge 250

usleepless at gmail.com usleepless at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 10:17:27 UTC 2006

Joe,

> > this supported by the pvr250 port ? i don't think so, i may be wrong )
>
> So, even though the TV would be locked onto channel 3 or 4
> constantly, I'd have to use the included remote to replace my
> satellite remote?

yes since the computer would need to control the settopbox/tuner, you
would need to control the computer through another remote.

> I'm not sure I understand the distinction between satellite and cable
> here, but I think I get the gist of this.

with satellite you will have 1 videosource ( 1 tuner/settopbox ). with
cable you can split the signal, record what you want, watch livetv
like nothing happened.

> >   - with only one source/tuner there are litte benefits: the only
> > feature you get is recording shows while you are not watching a show
>
> This is okay, as the whole point of going this route anyway is to
> record shows that are normally on pretty late.
>

> >   - mythtv is a beast, there is no ports port, and only runs well
> > on FBSD > 4
>
> What is the status of getting this into ports?

no status as far as i am aware of it.

> >   - want teletext/cc ? you will need about the newest ivtv-driver (
> > linux only for the moment )
> >
> > if you are going for it, i would suggest knoppmyth or whatever.
> >
> > i am running 3 myth-machines:
> >  - 1 xbox client ( xebian + custom myth-compile )
> >  - 1 freebsd 6.0 client/slave server ( pvr500) + custom myth-compile (
> > radeon 7000 btw )
> >  - 1 freebsd 4.11 master server ( pvr500 ) using linuxthreads with
> > custom myth-compile
> >
> > my custom build is based on an unofficial freebsd-port from some
> > japanse guy ( google for myth and freebsd ). i have patched it
> > extensively, to get rid of all the busy-wait synchronizing ( and other
> > stuff ).
>
> Is your Radeon the 32 MB or 64 MB version? Even though my 32 MB
> version has an S-video output, the included materials say it only
> works in the 64 MB version. Is the included output port completely
> useless then?

i am not using the tv-out ( using xbox for the tvset )

 > If I can't get Myth to work (for now), I can always use the at
> command and just schedule recordings through the CLI, right?

yes, yes. but you will still have the situation where your only
videosource is connected to your computer, how are you gonna watch
livetv?

regards,

usleep