Skype on FreeBSD - distorted sound - Please help to solve

Michael and Mary David michael-and-mary at cutlets.info
Mon Mar 27 00:42:41 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

This is Michael David and am new to this list. I have successfully
installed FreeBSD 6, 6.1 Beta 4 and PC BSD on my PC at different times.
However with all these, there is one application that is really
troublesome - SKYPE.

I installed Skype from ports - Skype starts up successfully, I can make
calls, both myself and the other party can talk and hear each other -
however sound is terribly distorted.

My PC specs are:

2.0 GHz Celeron
512 MB RAM
Creative Sound Blaster Live - emu10k1

I do not have this problem with other applications - xmms, mplayer etc
all work fine and with good sound clarity.

Please do kindly let me know how to solve this problem of distorted
sound with SKYPE.

Please help me.

Thanks and Regards,
Michael