RealVideo reverse proxy

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Mar 7 16:16:52 PST 2006

At 06:05 PM 07/03/2006, Julian Elischer wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>>A customer of ours has a requirement to do some very infrequent
>>real video broadcasting using Sony Anycast equipment.  Is there any
>>way on FreeBSD to act as a reverse proxy for them ?
>>
>>Ideally, I would like to setup something like
>>
>>Sony Anycast video
>>that puts out  ---------DSL------FreeBSD server---- multiple
>>clients viewing the stream via the FreeBSD server
>>RealVideo
>>
>>Where ideally, I would like reverse proxy the stream on the FreeBSD
>>box which has proper bandwidth to the outside world.  Is this
>>possible on FreeBSD ?  If so, what are you using ?
>

>I did this with the apple streaming server for my quicktime streams
>but I doubt that it works for
>a real stream.. (might check though)

Thanks, I am just in the process of installing the Darwin server
now.  I am wondering if there would be enough CPU power to convert
the stream real time via mencoder or ffmpeg.  Will have to experiment a bit.

>didn't the Real (TM) server run on freeBSD at one stage?

The only Real server I found were the commercial ones ? I seem to
recall there used to be a free server for a limited amount of
streams, but this customer needs 25-40.

         ---Mike