Dual head environment ... can I do it with my video card?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 30 05:27:56 UTC 2006

On Friday, 30 June 2006 at  1:32:28 -0300, User Freebsd wrote:

> I was doing some work on my desktop today, and noticed that it has both an
> svga port (where my monitor is currently attached) and a DVI port ... now,
> on another machine I have, it has only the DVI port, and I use a DVI->SVGA
> adapter to plug my monitor in ...
>
> So, my question is ... I have a second DVI->SVGA adapter sitting here on
> my desk ... is it possible to use that second port for a second monitor?
> And, if so, does someone have a pointer to have I would configure that?

Many display cards have alternative outputs of this nature, but they
output the same signal on both.  To see if your card is capable of
more, run X -configure and look at the output file.  If it can produce
more than one display, the file will start something like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "screen0" 0 0
	Screen      1  "screen1" RightOf "screen0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Greg