Standalone Skype Server possible ... ?

Andrew Gordon arg-bsd at arg.me.uk
Thu Jun 1 13:02:54 PDT 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> >
> > If your cliet would like to have full control over their own VOIP / PBX
> > telephone solution, might I suggest Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/)?
>
> Will have to take a second look at that ... last time I looked, I think I
> ran in fear due to complexity, then again, a 'Skype Server' might be
> similar, so might just have to buckle down :)

Don't be put off by the complexity in the sample config files that get
installed.  They are complete 'kitchen sink' configs, and IMHO just serve
to confuse - much better to start from a set of empty files and add a few
lines at a time as you need them [and half of the files you don't need at
all, since they relate to obscure modules that you won't be using].

Using Asterisk (and hence the open SIP or IAX protocols) gives you a huge
range of hardware devices and commercial services you can use to put your
system together, rather than being tied to the proprietary Skype stuff.