Acer Aspire AS5672 - built in camera - status so far

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Jul 21 08:14:17 UTC 2006

Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
 > The Acer Aspire AS5672WLMi laptop have a built in camera, placed on
 > top  of the LCD panel, in the upper frame of the lid. The lens is
 > facing the person sitting in front of the laptop. The camera can be
 > swiveled around the x-axis so that it can take pictures the other way.
 > The camera is labelddc as a 1.3 megapixel camera.
 >
 > FreeBSD sees this camera like this:
 >
 > tingo at kg-home$ dmesg | grep -i camera
 > ugen0: OEM Camera, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
 > tingo at kg-home$ usbdevs -v | grep -i camera
 >  port 8 addr 2: high speed, power 200 mA, config 1, Camera(0x0892), OEM(0x046d), rev 1.00
 >
 > The vendor id is 0x046d, which is Logitech. I've tried both pwcbsd
 > and spca5xx from ports, but none of them detects the camera.

On http://raaf.atspace.org/ (homepage of multimedia/pwcbsd)
there's a list of supported vendor/product IDs, including
quite a lot of Logitech ones.  Maybe the 0x0892 one is
compatible with the others, so just adding the ID to the
source might be sufficient to get it work.  Worth a try.

There's also graphics/phpsview in the Ports which supports
several Philips / Logitech cameras.  Might be worth a try,
too.

The pwcbsd software is based on an older version of a Linux
driver available from http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/ .
If you're somewhat familiar with C programming, you could
try to look at the Linux driver whether it supports the
0x0892 ID, and if so, try to backport it to the BSD port.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell