Sound Blaster Live! External: Would like some help please

Jr Porkchop jrporkchop at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 17:53:03 PST 2006

Hi Alexander,

>Jr Porkchop <jrporkchop at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Try to mute the device and then unmute it again (at least the GNOME
>>>panel applet is able to mute/unmute a device, and I have to do the same
>>>in Windows too when I want to use my uaudio device).
>>
>>How would I mute/unmute devices by using a widget in KDE or do you suggest
>>changing to gnome, or is there a command line like "mixer pcm 0" or is the
>>"push to mute" volume switch used.
>
>I don't suggest to switch to gnome just for this. And I would be surprised
>if
>KDE doesn't offer such a feature. Since I never hat the need to mute the
>sound in software (most of the time it's quicker to just hit the power
>button on the remote control for me), I just know about the mute feature in
>the gnome panel applet. But I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

You were right about the power button when I did it and tested the sound
system using kde it worked but only through the front port (headphones jack)
I wish to use the rear ports (for 5.1) the /dev/sndstat says it's capable
but I am unaware of how to activate it.

>>been trying to recreate the settings but to no avail.  Also is there any
>>way of running at it Hi-speed becasue at the minute it's running at Full
>>speed (12MB/s).
>
>Why do you need that? Are you sure your uaudio device is capable of doing
>Hi-spped transfers?

Yes it's USB 2.0 but it requires some sort of vendor specific signal, in
windows you just install the drivers and it activates the Hi -speed option
this also allows 24-bit sound processing.  Also should install some sort of
OSS, like 4Front Technologies OSS.

Bye
Christopher