webcam and usb device permissions

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sat Jan 21 09:02:35 PST 2006

Hi,

I just got a Creative Labs WebCam Live!. usbdevs -v reports this:
 port 2 addr 3: full speed, power 160 mA, config 1, WebCam
Live!(0x4036), Creative Labs(0x041e), rev 1.00

and armed with that information, I quickly found out that the
spca5xx port (graphics/spcaview) supports the family that this camera
belongs to. Installed it, and it works.

One question remains: the camera shows up as /dev/ugenX (ugen0 in my
case). How do I tell my machine that want a permission of 0664 on that
device when it shows up?

I tried putting in 'perm    ugen0   0664' in /etc/devfs.conf, but that
only applies on boot, I need something  that applies whenever the camera
is connected. I seem to recall that this has been discussec before, but
I can't find it now (yes, bad short term memory, I know).

I'm running FreeBSD 6.0-stable:
root at kg-quiet# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #3: Sun Jan  8
20:22:06 CET 2006     root at kg-quiet.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
amd64
--
Regards,