[info] PixelView PlayTV Pro PV-BT878P+ rev.9D works with bktr

Tue Jan 17 08:20:55 PST 2006

Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd at arg.me.uk> wrote:

> There isn't a separate soundchip - the sound is a second PCI function
> within the video capture chip (BT878).  The datasheet for that certainly

I expected this.

> used to be freely available (I have a copy downloaded years ago).  It

That's nice.

> looks to be sufficient to write a driver - the DMA engine etc. are
> identical to the one in the video section, and there is a fair amount of
> documentation of the audio section.

Now about the "how do the bt878 users lure Ariff into writting a driver for
it"...

> However, as with the video, you need card-specific knowledge about how the
> various inputs are wired up to do a comprehensive job (similar to the
> problems with mis-labeled mixer channels on other soundcards).

What's more convenient, having to use a loop-through (current situation), or
just plugging the card into the system and use it (with a mislabeled
mixer...)? And since the bktr driver already has several configuration
options it would just be one more, in case you want correct mixer labels.

If you're satisfied with the current situation, fine. If you aren't, there's
at least the possibility to try to get an improvement.

Bye,
Alexander.

Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust.