Intel High Definition Audio (azalia) support now available in OSS/FreeBSD 6.0

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 12 19:41:02 PST 2006

guru at Sisis.de schrieb:

> Thanks for your feedback, but you do not want me to open the new
> notebook with the soldering iron in my hands to have a look for
> some link there, no? :-)) What could I do without opening the box?

Nothing I suppose. I don't consider it impossible the notebook
manufacturer simply omitted this, since Windows does digital extraction
for cd playback by default these days.

> Another problem, but related to this. As usual there is a racing
> between aRts daemon and any other application which wants to play
> sound for the /dev/dsp device. I know the solution described in
> the FAQ http://freebsd.kde.org/faq.php#q9 but it seems that it does
> not work with the opensound driver because this brings up devices
> like /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2, ... and until know I only
> could manage to play anything on /dev/dsp1 (even with the osstest
> tool the others are not 'saying' any beep).

That would be a bug in OSS.

> In KDE one can set a timeout for aRts daemon to give away the sound
> device on idle, I've set this to 6 secs, but ogle still claims on
> launch that it is busy; the other solution launching ogle as

You can set it as low as 1 second, which works pretty good in almost all
situations.

You can check if the device is really busy and what program has it open
by doing fstat | grep dsp. If that command returns nothing and ogle
still claims it cannot open the device, there's probably a problem with
ogle and OSS.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org