xsane as user

Arne Woerner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 08:36:44 PST 2006

--- Stefan Eßer <se at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > % cat /etc/devfs.conf
> > perm uscanner0 0664
>
> Hmmm, why 0664?

Oh... I put myself into the operator group...

I saw that too late... I hope my example still clear enough... It
should have been 0666 there too.

> Interesting idea to apply devfs rules from
> devd ...

I did not know, what devfs is good for, so I put it into devd so
that it makes sense in my setting (when I unplugged the scanner
the devfs settings were lost after I re-plugged the scanner).

> attach 100 {
> 	device-name "uscanner[0-9]+";
> 	action "chmod 660 /dev/$device-name";
> };

This creates uncontrolled redundancy, because then I have the
perms set in devfs.conf and in devd.conf...

I haven't understood the devfs/devd idea completely... :-)

-Arne