snd_solo broken after big MFC to RELENG_6

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Tue Jan 3 18:00:24 PST 2006

OT: reply to mailling list instead, since my spam protection is ..
    EVIL

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 02:28:30 +0100
Simon Barner <barner at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Great, this did the trick. However, vchans still don't work. When
> I set hw.snd.maxautovchans to some value > 0, I get the following
> error when loading the module (or during the boot with the value set
> in /boot/loader.conf):
>
> pcm0: vchan_create(pcm0:play:0) == 45
Uh uh.. another good catch.. ninja tricks awaken.

> I fear that means that the card simply doesn't support it... but I
> can live with that.

Vchans should work on *any* supported soundcards since it is
soft/kernel implementation. I simply cannot leave you behind in the
dark.. or should I :)

> The reason why I updated to RELENG_6 was, that I wanted to get rid
> of the clicks that disturbed audio output under I/O load. Even
> selecting an mbox with a few thousand messages in mutt is enough.
> OTOH I can extract the firefox tarball twice with two pararell
> processes, and I get much less clicking... strange. Perhaps the CPU
> is to slow to keep up with decompressing, so the I/O load is to
> low...
>
> I increased hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize to 32768 with an entry in
> /boot/device.hints, but I don't think it improved the situation a
> lot. Setting it to 65536 gave me warings on the console, so I better
> turned it back:
>
> kernel: DMA count reg bogus: cff8 & cff8
>
> Are there any more knobs to tweak, or do I have to life with a
> suboptimal sound experience on old and cr*ppy hardware (see attached
> dmesg).

Increasing buffersize doesn't help much in this case, since this
driver still under the influenced of Evil Dark Lord GIANT(tm). Perhaps
we should try to liberate it first.

I'll be back.

--
Ariff Abdullah