snd_via8233

Yury Luneff koolkhel at mail.ru
Mon Jan 2 11:28:12 PST 2006

Hello!

I am using a K7VTA3 rev 1.0 with via8233pre onboard sound card. I've
figured out that almost all applications have problems during play:
xmms and mplayer, for example, can sometimes click or scratch, or even
break the rthytm :). Nevermind that I don't like the quality of music
player, but this is terrible for me. In xmms I tried both "ESound" and
"OSS". In debian I had "ALSA" and it worked perfectly. Is there any
other way of putting sound out in FreeBSD?

The one "application" that don't seem to be having such problems is
Return To Castle Wolfenstein :).

yury at sarge:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT8233 (pre)> at io 0xe400 irq 11  (5p/1r/0v channels duplex
default)

I am using FreeBSD 6 0-RELEASE, no any cvs'es or so.

What can I do to make the sound normal? (except buying another soundcard
- for me it is better to return to debian)