ffmpeg doesn't record sound from WinTV.

Frank J. Beckmann frank at barda.agala.net
Sun Jan 1 18:46:09 PST 2006

Moin,

am Freitag, 30. Dezember 2005 05:24 schrieb Jacob Meuser:
> > moTV, XawTV and fxtv are able to record sound, ffmpeg and nupplevideo are
> > not. ffmpeg records sound from outher devices. So I guess that it doesn't
> > tell the
>

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > TV card to send the audio stream to it's line out. ffmpeg has the only
> > really
>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> no, bktr(4) always does that.  it is only possible to select the inputs.
> all outputs are enabled when the tuner is unmuted (which happens by default
> when the tuner is open()'d).
>
> do you hear audio when you run the above ffmpeg command?  if so, then the
> problem is solely with the audio grabbing, not bktr.  make sure your mixer
> is set right.  ffmpeg doesn't set the mixer, while the programs that work
> for you all do set the mixer, IIRC.

I don't hear sound when I use ffmpeg. I hear sound if I use moTV (or one of
the other above mantioned programs).

The mixer settings are always the same:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  78:78
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  88:88
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  88:88
Mixer line     is currently set to  82:82
Mixer mic      is currently set to  92:92
Mixer cd       is currently set to  90:90
Mixer rec      is currently set to  81:81
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  78:78
Mixer line1    is currently set to  90:90
Mixer phin     is currently set to  90:90
Mixer phout    is currently set to  84:84
Recording source: line

Now I disconnected the audio output of the tv card from the input of the sound
card and plugged the output of hifi cd player there instead. Now ffmpeg
records sound (not from tv ofcourse but from the cd player). That tells me
that the mixér settings are ok but the tv card does not send sound then I use
ffmpeg (or nuppelvideo).
--
Bye
Frank