today's 6.1 would not boot here

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Feb 27 11:38:48 PST 2006

Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:21:32 -0500
> Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
>
>>ÐÏÎÅĦÌÏË 27 ÌÀÔÉÊ 2006 13:09, Scott Long ÷É ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌÉ:
>>
>>>I've lost track here, sorry. šWhat are the problems with audio?
>>
>>6.1-PRERELEASE (as of yesterday) hangs solid on boot on the same
>>system, where  6.0 (as of end of November) booted fine.
>>
>>Disabling the AC97 audio in the PC's BIOS allows booting to
>>succeed...
>>
>>Ariff is aware of problems with the ich driver, but I'm not sure,
>>whether he  is planning to fix them before 6.1. IMHO, that is a must
>>from -- at least --  the advocacy point of view...
>>

> Problems within ich driver does exist since eon (especially the DMA
> part). It was hidden until the recent improvement against the upper
> layer which trying to promote loud failure in case a bug within
> specific driver is triggered.
>
> My suggestions:
> 1) Enable full debugging support (INVARIANTS, WITNESS, DIAGNOSTIC)
> 2) Don't compile the driver within kernel, use the module instead.
> 3) Don't load the module during boot. Do it manually *after* finish
>    booting (kldload sound ; kldload snd_ich)
> 4) I need your pciconf -lv ;)
>
> In case all above failed, try to revert your ich.c to revision 1.53 .
>
> --
> Ariff Abdullah
> FreeBSD

Is this a problem with calibrating the sample rate on the chip?  There
was a problem with snd_ich several years ago where the calibration would
fail or be unpredictable during boot.  I fixed it my moving the
calibration code to a separate step that gets run via the
config_intrhook API.  That made it work reliably during boot and when
loaded after boot.  Is this new problem somehow related to this?  Since
I was the one who fixed it in the past, I'd be happy to help now.

Scott