[Problem] Krec/rawrec, audigy incorrectly recording audio output

Yuriy Tsibizov Yuriy.Tsibizov at gfk.ru
Tue Feb 21 00:34:48 PST 2006

> 	I am having trouble with my headset audio recording setting.
> For some reason, I keep recording the headphone output whenever I
> try to record with either krec (kde record application) or port
> audio/rawrec; or, even skype.
>
> 	You will notice below that all my input mixer levels are
> 0. The only input that seems to affect the recording of the headphone
> output is the rec input. However, that also affects the mic input
> so it's not a possibility.
'rec input' is always 'sound mix' on Audigy and later cards, even if mixer
says anything else (it does not query AC97 codec, but uses a cached value).

> 	EVEN, the audio output is recored even if I remove the
> headphones plug from the soundboard. Therefore, this is indeed a
> software issue.

> # emuctrl list
> Id	Description          	  Vol	RecVol
> FX (PCM) buses
> fx0	DSP FX BUS 0        	 74:74	(75:75)
This means "send all PCM data multiplied by .74 to playback and multiplied
by .75 to recording". You record all sound you play (with lower volume).

Your card has three mixers, and this seems to confuse you - one of them is
AC97 mixer (you can change it with mixer(8)), the second one is EMU10K1
DSP-based (you can access it with emuctrl) and the third one is inside
24bit/192kHz "p16v" interface (hardwired in current driver). _Recording_
output from AC97 is an input to DSP (usually in0). Playback output from
AC97 is always muted.

If you disable everything in (AC97) mixer, you still can get sound on
recording bus if you have non-zero RecVol in emuctrl (DSP mixer).

You can visit http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/#routing to look for
sound routing scheme (inside DSP).

Yuriy.