MythTV and PVR500 (was: Possible FreeBSD port?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 19 16:00:52 PST 2006

On Wednesday, 20 December 2006 at  0:09:18 +0100, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> Greg,
>
> On 12/19/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> if you would like some help: i have compiled mythtv numerous times
>>> on fbsd ( 4.x and 6.x ). i am running it as well ( 4.11 server, 6.x
>>> client )
>>
>> Why didn't you make a port of it?
>
> i still might. but it is based off 18-fixes, ported to postgresql, and
> heavily modified to remove all busy-wait-loops.

OK, this looks like a side branch.

> i made a port of the pvr500 driver which i based of the pvr250 port
> in the process.

I'm also in the process of committing the pvr250 port to the kernel
tree.  I'd be interested in seeing your driver.

>>> so if you have specific issues, please let me know. i might be able
>>> to help.
>>
>> It seems to run, but the installation process is painful, not helped
>> by the MythTV code.  Currently if you try to run MythTV before setting
>> my MySQL, it gets stuck in an endless loop trying to connect, vomiting
>> over the screen.  I'd like to fix that, but I suppose I can commit the
>> current version.
>
> what do you mean exactly with "setting my MySQL" ?

Sorry, "setting up MySQL", i.e. installing the database.

> since i ported it to support postgresql, i had a different proces to
> get it running ( running altered DDL over and over again to fight
> the nightmare of different mysql-datatypes ).

Sounds like that's an issue with your knowledge of the database rather
than with the software itself.  Still, a PostgreSQL version is a good
thing to have too.

> i did not make a port, but i am willing to help. but if people are
> interested in a 0.18-fixes-postgresql-heavily-modified port of
> mythtv, let me know. if there is enough interest we might pull it
> off.

I've now committed the base MythTV port.  You might like to take a
look and see how to fit your patches.

> but i got the impression of the list that only the most recent
> version of mythtv is worth aiming for

I've ported 0.20, of course.

> ( i have no need to go to .19 or .20 )

Because it's such a pain to upgrade? :-)  That's what I've heard from
many people.  One of the things I want for this port is for it to Just
Work.  And given the code base, that's a tall order.

Greg