multimedia/libquicktime missing lqt_ffmpeg.*

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 17:47:30 PST 2006

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:35:49 -0500
"Michael Johnson" <ahze at ahze.net> wrote:

> On 12/8/06, Randy Pratt <bsd-unix at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I was building a set of packages and noticed that libquicktime would
> > fail to build a package if multimedia/ffmpeg was installed instead
> > of multimedia/ffmpeg-devel.
> >
> > The libquicktime-0.9.9 would build and install with ffmpeg but
> > apparently it did not build:
> >
> >         lib/libquicktime/lqt_ffmpeg.la
> >         lib/libquicktime/lqt_ffmpeg.so
> >
> > since the package build failed with:
> >
> >   --->  Backing up the old version
> >   tar: lib/libquicktime/lqt_ffmpeg.la: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> >   tar: lib/libquicktime/lqt_ffmpeg.so: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> >   pkg_create: make_dist: tar command failed with code 256
> >
> > I switched from the old multimedia/ffmpeg to multimedia/ffmpeg-devel:
> >
> >   portupgrade -fo multimedia/ffmpeg-devel multimedia/ffmpeg
> >
> > The libquicktime package built fine using ffmpeg-devel.  I checked
> > another box and the same situation of missing lqt_ffmpeg.* existed
> > since it also used the old multimedia/ffmpeg.  Perhaps this is
> > something local that causes the missing files.
> >
> > Can anyone else confirm missing /usr/local/lib/libquicktime/lqt_ffmpeg.*
> > files when using multimedia/ffmpeg as a dependency for libquicktime?
> >

> Thanks for reporting this, multimedia/ffmpeg is starting to show it's age
> and developers that use FFmpeg are starting to only support use of
> CVS versions of FFmpeg. I'll either patch it or disable FFmpeg in the next
> day or so.

Its a subtle issue for me since I almost never use quicktime for
any purpose.  I would have never noticed it except for a package
build failure.

I did check http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=multimedia&portname=libquicktime&wildcard= but it showed
the package as 'building'.  I don't understand why it builds there
as a package since it relies on multimedia/ffmpeg.  Obviously,
something is different.

Anyway, thank you for the quick response and I'm willing to do any
testing/patching if needed.

Randy