Esound + skype...

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Aug 16 04:43:32 UTC 2006

Alexander, thanks a lot for your answer and the time to answer to each of my
issues :)

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:26:43 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> (Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:20:26
> +1000):
>
> > $ esddsp skype
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libesddsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
> > preloaded: ignored.
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libesd.so' from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
>
> This is because esddsp just load a lib to the program you specify.
> Since you are calling the FreeBSD native esddsp, you try to add the
> FreeBSD native lib to the linux skype. This doesn't work.

I imagined it was something like this

> > I then tried audio/linux-esound, (and had to install audio/linux-alsa-lib
> > too), but it seems /compat/linux/usr/bin/esd cannot find the sound device:
> >

> > $ /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/esd
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
> > ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver
> > returned error: No such device ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat)
> > error evaluating strings ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate)
> > function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device ALSA lib
> > confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name ALSA lib
> > conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error:
> > No such device ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No
> > such device ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
>
> I seems the linux esd tries to use ALSA. Since we don't have ALSA
> support...

idem :)

> > i tried mounting devfs in /compat/linux/dev/ and pointing esd to it
> > ( -d /compat/linux/dev/dsp) but:
> > $ /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/esd -d /compat/linux/dev/dsp
> > - using device /compat/linux/dev/dsp
> > ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown
> > PCM /compat/linux/dev/dsp
>
> This will not work, linux programs fall back to the FreeBSD path (if
> there's no linux directory, so make sure /compat/linux/dev doesn't
> exists and it will do so magic and access the native /dev).

ah, i didnt know this :) thx!

> > so....
> >  1) is it possible to run a sound server (i.e., basically something that
> > allows several streams to play simultaneously without locking the dsp) so
> > that both native AND emulated apps will be happy with?
> >  2) am I missing something big ?
>
> What about
>  sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=<num>
> where <num> is the number of programs you want to allow to play at the
> same time.

ahhh.. magic :)  I remembered something like this, but I thought it was solely
due to a sound daemon. I'll look deeper into this to see how to tune it
properly :)

Things I know are happening now:
 - when reloading the hdac.ko (it dies after resume), i need to reset the
sysctl - I need to fix this.

Current settings:
$ sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 8
hw.snd.unit: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 3

Combos i've tested:
 1- xmms-esound + mplayer : work fine playing simultaneously

 2- xmms-esound + skype : works!! :)

 3- xmms-esound + linux-firefox (+ linux-flashplugin) - seems to work most of
the time. Restarting linux-firefox makes it work again. Skype definitely seems
to break linux-firefox + flash.(but skype is not affected).

4- xmms-esound  + linux-firefox + mplayer-plugin (tested w/Real Video) : works.
mplayer on top of this also works fine.

Best,