FreeBSD Multimedia API and Google SOC2006

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Apr 28 08:47:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:56:07 +0200
Danny Pansters <danny at ricin.com> wrote:

> Multimedia apps should be
> expected to end up in a GUI in most cases and a common API should be made
> with that in mind as well.

	Here I beg to differ, while GUI applications are common things like
VCR applications and security loggers (with motion detection software) can
usefully be command line applications possibly with *no* user interface
(for example my vcr script is usually used in conjunction with at). The API
should most definitely *not* preclude use in this fashion, consider that
the ffmpeg, mencoder and transcode are not GUI applications.