Odd code in sound/pcm/channel.c, help with PR?

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 20 23:15:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:47:55 -0700
George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> wrote:
> Ariff Abdullah writes:
>  > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:03:00 -0700
>  > George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> wrote:
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > It's because the hardware DMA pointer is being lazy and need
>  > >  > a good spank on its face.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Replace your sys/dev/sound/pci/via8233.c with:
>  > >  >
>  > >  >   http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/via8233.c
>  > >  >
>  > >  > As usual, recompile your kernel, or just the modules. If
>  > >  > this doesn't work, I still have few more other tricks.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Coincidently, I'm currently investigating DMA incoherency
>  > >  > within few drivers, notably this and few others.
>  > >
>  > > I think that you need to get a bigger stick.  I did a
>  > > buildkernel/installkernel and still no sound when I cat to
>  > > /dev/dsp0.0 and I still get the timeouts.
>  > >
>  > Try again (same above link). Looks like we need to fabricate DMA
>  > progress.
>
> I still get silence and the same message when cat /etc/termcap >
> /dev/dsp0.0.

Can you put printf("blah blah whatever\n") statement around chn_intr()
within via8233.c ? (There are 2 chn_intr(), at least). I just want to
know if the interrupt are really triggered. It's possible that the DMA
completion is too fast and it simply flag EOL on every interrupt, or
dead.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD