master volume has no effect

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 02:51:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

I use a 6-STABLE with a sound support compiled in the kernel
("device sound" and "device snd_ich"):

> cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH2 (82801BA)> at io 0xe800, 0xef00 irq 9 bufsz 16384  (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

The problem is that the master volume of a mixer has no effect on the
real sound volume. I can set it even to 0 or to 100, but no volume
change could be heard. Anyway, I can adjust the volume by 'pcm' and
'ogain' settings of the mixer.

With default mixer settings the volume is low. I should set the 'ogain'
to 80, so a music from XMMS could be well heard with middle values of
the 'pcm'. By default XMMS uses the 'pcm' for its volume control.

The problem is even more annoying when I return from a single user mode
and the mixer settings are switched to their defaults. By the way,
could the /etc/rc.d/mixer script be teached to not save the settings
during a shutdown if it didn't set them during the last boot?

Thanks