SB Digital Music FreeBSD Driver

Kazuhito HONDA kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp
Sun Apr 2 19:21:43 UTC 2006

hello,
I use SB digital music, not LX.
But there may be little difference.

In article <49504.127.0.0.1.1143670927.squirrel at www.pbsistem.com>
baris at pbsistem.com writes:

>> mixer -f /dev/mixer1 gave me:
>>
>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
>> Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
>> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0

Is there a sentence "Recording source:???" after it?
Or please run the command `mixer -f /dev/mixer1 recsrc'.
In general, "???" is "mic".  You must change it to "line".
mixer -f /dev/mixer1 =rec line
This command change the recording source to "line"

If you want to know all available recoding sources,
this command will tell you them:
mixer -f /dev/mixer1 (non-sence words)
`mixer' command will say error message,
but "rec devices: ...." sentence
in this error message will tell us available device.
In the case of my SB digital music, they are "mic", "line", and "pcm2".
They are microphone, line in, and optical in, respectively.

By the way, in the case of my SB digital music,
I could record sound from line in without any problem.
Though I used FreeBSD-current and `rawrec' command,
there is little difference between rawrec and sox.

dmesg:
uaudio0: <vendor 0x041e USB Audio, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2> on uhub1
uaudio0: audio rev 1.00
pcm0: <USB Audio> on uaudio0

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <USB Audio> at ? kld snd_uaudio (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
	mode 1:(output) 2ch, 16/16bit, pcm, 48000Hz
	mode 1:(input) 2ch, 16/16bit, pcm, 48000,44100Hz

# mixer -f /dev/mixer0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  20:20
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  44:44
Mixer line     is currently set to  62:62
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: line

There isn't  big difference between my SBDM and your SBDM LX
without the last sentence.  So I want to know the output from
"mixer -f /dev/mixer1 recsrc".

I guess three candidates of cause.
The first is that recording source selection can't be work well.
The second is that there is unknown mute knob of line in.
Indeed, SBDM has 5 or 6 mute knobs. But FreeBSD can't
treat so many mute knobs, so FreeBSD use the mutes with default setting.
Perhaps, the mute of line in may be off for SBDM, and may be on for SBDM LX.
The last is that the problem comes from some reason which we can't recognize,
for example, line in was broken.

In the case of second and the last candidate,
it is difficult to check and resolve this problem.
Someone, who know uaudio coding well,
must get SBDM LX and fix the uaudio.c.
Before it, we should research the first candidate.
So please tell me results from 'mixer -f /dev/mixer1 recsrc'
and 'mixer -f /dev/mixer1 hogehoge'.

Sincerely yours,
Kazuhito HONDA