kern/48338: [sound] pcm audio driver hogs /dev/dsp?.?

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Thu Sep 15 17:10:16 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR kern/48338; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ariff Abdullah <skywizard at MyBSD.org.my>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: jylefort at brutele.be, netchild at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/48338: [sound] pcm audio driver hogs /dev/dsp?.?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:06:36 +0800

 On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:38:41 GMT
 Alexander Leidinger <netchild at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
 > Synopsis: [sound] pcm audio driver hogs /dev/dsp?.?
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: feedback->open
 > State-Changed-By: netchild
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Sep 12 18:38:03 GMT 2005
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > Feedback received, it's still a problem, so back to "open".

 I cannot reproduce this, but then again, my src is no longer a pristine
 RELENG_5.

 First of all, using /dev/dsp0.<channel number> is discourage, because
 that means you're locking it to certain virtual channel. Since:

 # Note: you're sending this to background that will keep it running
 # even after ctrl+c
 $ while : ; do play -d /dev/dsp0.1 somefile & ; done
 ^C
 $ play -d /dev/dsp0.1 somefile

 In this case, trying to use already occupied dsp device will obviously
 fail (device busy). Use /dev/dsp instead for dynamic channel allocation.

 I would suggest you to try first those proposed patch (for RELENG_5).
 Most of the fixes already commited to HEAD.

 http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/

 If the problem still persist (even after applying it), could you please
 tell us what soundcard you have, pciconf -lv, sysctl hw.snd, cat
 /dev/sndstat , anything that might be related.

 --

 Ariff Abdullah
 MyBSD

 http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)