Sound card recommendations?

Sascha Klauder sklauder at trimind.de
Fri Nov 25 15:34:07 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 01:15:48PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Sascha Klauder <sklauder at trimind.de> wrote:
> >treble mixer controls.  I've got an SB Live! as well, and it
> >just sounds crappy in comparison to the AWE, even with 4Front
> >drivers.
> Which FreeBSD version did you used to test? If anything below a recent

 I'm running a recent 6.0-STABLE with PREEMPTION and
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize set to 16384.

> (http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/)? If with the patches: did you played
> with with the new pci latency_timer sysctl (it may help to get a very good
> sound output)?

 I'm well aware of Ariff's quite excellent patchset, but
I was not refering to the problem with crackling noise and
stuttering output on SB Live cards.

 Without lapsing into an audiophile discussion, the Live
card sounds just »flat« in comparison to the AWE64 with
properly adjusted bass and treble mixers.

Cheers,
-sascha