Transcode with bktr+oss problem

Fri Nov 25 12:18:57 GMT 2005

Nicolas Blais <nb_root at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the recent upgrade to transcode-1.0.1_1 with oss support, I tried to
> record a tv show like so:
>
> transcode -i /dev/bktr0 -x bktr=norm=ntsc:vsource=tuner:asource=tuner,null -g
> 640x480 -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -o out
>
> It correctly records the video but no sound (yet I can hear it).
> (asource=external/internal tested too).
>
> So I also tried this:
>
> transcode -i /dev/bktr0 -x bktr=norm=ntsc:vsource=tuner:asource=tuner,oss -g
> 640x480 -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -o out
>
> which will correctly load the import_oss.so module but exit(1) on me.
>
> transcode v1.0.1 (C) 2001-2003 Thomas Oestreich, 2003-2004 T. Bitterberg
> SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> [transcode] auto-probing source /dev/bktr0 (failed)

I don't have a bktr card, but it looks to me as transcode tries to open the
vide input as an audio device. This seems to be wrong if I understand the
handling of bktr correctly.

> My bktr's sound-out is connected to my sound card's Line In (as with most
> WinTVs like mine).

I assume you have to specify your soundcard instead of the tuner in
"asource".

Bye,
Alexander.

I'm not available for comment..