bktr on amd64fbsd5.3 vs i386fbsd5.3; fxtv too...

Robert Krten root at parse.com
Wed Nov 23 16:05:20 GMT 2005

Hi folks,

I've managed to get my WinTV Go Plus card working
on i386fbsd5.3 bktr by hacking the tuner source
(unsupported tuner type 0x79) but strangely, the same fixes
don't seem to produce video on the amd64 version.

The amd64 dmesg shows that the bktr driver boots up the same
way as it does under i386, detecting the tuner, and generally
being happy.  But applications, like fxtv, or the /usr/share
demos for the meteor card, only bring up a black screen.

Here's the amd64 dmesg:
bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xede00000-0xede00fff irq 17 at device 12.0 on pci0
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 29440  @ %
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips TDA6503 NTSC tuner.

Two questions:
1) any tips on what might be the problem with a "naive" port
of bktr/fxtv from i386 to amd64?
2) why are things like fxtv marked in the Makefile as "only
working on ...", said list not including amd64?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Consulting, Books and Training at www.parse.com
Looking for Digital Equipment Corp. PDP-1 through PDP-15 minicomputers!