external sound card under FreeBSD 5.4

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Tue Nov 15 09:42:17 GMT 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:38:24 +0100
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
> Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> > It must be true.  The version of uaudio.c in RELENG_5_4 is
> > 1.7.8.1. This differs by only one line from uadio.c of 1.7.
> > 1.7 uaudio.c is 3 years old.
> > On the other hand, the version of uaudio.c
> > in RELENG_5 (stable branch) is 1.7.8.2,
> > and this differs by over 2,000 lines from in RELENG_5_4.
> > uaudio_pcm.c and uaudio.h are slimiar to that.
>
> Yes, there are a lot of your changes MFCed, but it's not up-to-date.
> I searched through cvsweb for the fix which removed the allocation
> of DMAable buffers and uses plain malloc()ed buffers. I haven't
> found it at a first glance, but I don't think it's MFCed. And
> without this change the uaudio device will not attach.
>
> Ariff's patchset contains a backport of the current sound code and
> it is known to work.

Unfortunately I don't think I've ever touch uaudio code except the
addition of feeder_volume part. It seems that there are a lot of
uaudio differences between -current and releng_5, which even the
patchset do not address.

Since I do not have any usb audio hardware, I couldn't tell if blind
fold backporting is worth a try for me. Anybody willing to do it?

I guess I should give a try to re-sync everything.

--
Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD

http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)