external sound card under FreeBSD 5.4

Mon Nov 14 21:03:42 GMT 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:31:04 +0900 (JST)
Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> From: Sandor Z Nemeth <nemeths at for.mat.bham.ac.uk>
> Subject: external sound card under FreeBSD 5.4
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:37:53 +0000 (GMT)
>
> > I am having trouble with making sound work under FreeBSD 5.4. I have an
> > external usb sound card "Creative Sound Blater Live 24! external".
>
> We have improved many codes for USB sound card in FreeBSD.
> But the almost codes for USB sound
> in FreeBSD 5.4 are the codes before that.
> Almost our changes have already been applied
> to FreeBSD 5-stable (RELENG_5 branch) and 6.0.

Really? I can't remember this. But there's a patchset available at
http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ which merges all of the changes we
have in -current. If you know how to use "patch", you may want to give
it a try.

Notes:
 - I have a Creative USB device myself and it works just fine (in
   -current).
 - The patchset will not be merged to RELENG_5 or RELENG_6 as is, since
   we have to change the way you can control some features first.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
      ...and that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.