[patch] stereo input is mixed to monaural via SoundBlaster16 recording mixer

Tue Nov 8 16:00:22 GMT 2005

Watanabe Kazuhiro <CQG00620 at nifty.ne.jp> wrote:

> 	if (src & SOUND_MASK_MIC)
> -		recdev |= 0x01; /* mono mic */
> +		recdev_l |= 0x01; /* mono mic */
> +		recdev_r |= 0x01;

If I understand this correctly, this feeds the monaural signal to the left
and the right channel. When we have a mono input, do we really want to have
the same input doubled? I don't do any recording, so I don't know how most
programs handle this, but IMHO it's a waste of resources and if the source
is only able to deliver a mono-signal, the recording should only be possible
in mono.

Does this sound sane?

Be warned, if you proceed to submit such patches, we may want to lure you
into becomming a committer...

Bye,
Alexander.

ARCHDUKE FERDINAND FOUND ALIVE --