ICH6-M audio support for ASUS notebook

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Tue Nov 8 04:35:15 PST 2005

Hello!

  I'm going to buy a notebook and trying to decide what chipset it should be
built on. Vast majority of Intel-based Centrinos are built on 915GM + ICH6-M
(Alviso) chipset. As I've read in datasheet ICH6-M contains two different
sound engines: good old AC97 and new Intel's "High Definition audio"
(which AFAIK isn't supported by our sound driver). Engines can't work
together, only one of them can be enabled. I know that our sound driver
supports AC97 engine, but will it always be sufficient in order to use
notebook's audio? I suspect different notebooks will have different wiring
between ICH6-M and codecs. I would like to know positive/negative experience
with ICH6-M audio on modern ASUS notebooks under FreeBSD (6.* or CURRENT).

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua