Sound skipping problems

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Mon Nov 7 18:18:41 PST 2005

[ stable@ -> multimedia@ ]

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:27:50 +0100
Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster at sebster.com> wrote:

> I tried the patch, but unfortunately when I reboot with the patch
> (which  cleanly applies and compiles), audio stops working. The
> device (pcm0) is  still there, the mixer is set ok, and everything
> looks normal, just no  sound comes out of the speakers.
>
> I have no idea why the patch doesn't work, but if you want any more
> information I'll be happy to supply it to you. The sound skipping
> seems  at least fixed by just increasing the buffer size, but don't
> know how  reliable this workaround is compared to a structural
> workaround.
>
> Furthermore I don't know if this message is relevant, but it seems
> the  snd_8233 driver doesn't like my audio codec very much:
>
> pcm0: <VIA VT8237> port 0xec00-0xecff irq 22 at device 17.5 on pci0
> pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> pcm0: <Unknown AC97 Codec (id = 0x56494170)>

Sorry, I gave the wrong patch. You should get snd_RELENG_6_2005*
instead of snd_RELENG_6_0_2005*. Still, the problem (non working
sound) is quite interesting for me. I'm mostly interested for the
output of /usr/sbin/mixer and cat /dev/sndstat (with sysctl
hw.snd.verbose=2). Please try again. Your AC97 codec id has been
added.

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/snd_RELENG_6_20051108_059.diff

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/README for hints and common
problem/solution.