ICH7 audio support?

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 02:17:14 PST 2005

Greetings, all.

I've recently bought a Dell Optiplex GX620 box, and am running
5.4-STABLE (as of mid-October) on it.

This box has an ICH7 on the motherboard. At boot time, 5.4-RELEASE
doesn't recognize the ICH7 in any way--not the ATA controller
(seen as "generic"), and not the audio hardware.

In particular, I see:

pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 30.2 (no driver attached)

My questions:

1) Does 6.0 support the ICH7 audio hardware?
2) If not, is anyone working on support for it?
3) How back-compatible is the ICH7 audio hardware with previous ICHes?
   That is, is there any chance that merely by hacking the device probe
   tables, I can "lie" to the current snd_ich driver that the ICH7
   is some earlier-model ICH, and get it to work?

Many thanks,
-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk